Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Nothing's perfect!

What a crazy few days! I have been sick, which is way not fun...for anyone involved. I was laid up in bed from Friday night to yesterday afternoon and haven't felt 100% until today. So the kids have been a little beach deprived but they'll survive! We have lots of time still.

The one good thing that came of my illness was that I had to stop. I didn't even want to look at my iPad so if I wasn't sleeping, I actually just watched TV. I've definitely become an info addict, always on my phone, computer or iPad. Having no cellphone service has been so great for me! I'm not a slave to it. I walk to the store without any easy way to call home and I'm fine. And home is fine. We become so reliant on our tech, we forget that we used to get by just fine without it. This 2 month detox is doing wonders for my anxiety level, believe it or not. It's amazing how much less I stress out with less information. It seems counter intuitive, but its working.

I do miss a lot of the conveniences of home. Don't get the wrong idea, Bermuda is a fully developed country, they just have limitations because of their size and government regulations to keep businesses in Bermuda. So basically what I'm saying is that there are no chain restaurants or stores. No Starbucks, no McDonalds or Taco Bell, no Target or Walmart...the only caveat is a KFC in downtown Hamilton. No drive thrus. We don't have car anyway because there are no car rentals in Bermuda. It's fine, we have a beach and a grocery store within walking distance and we can get rides when we need to go somewhere else. There's also a good transit system here, though we haven't ventured on it yet.

It's also a good detox from shopping. The only shopping I get to do is grocery shopping. And when a trip to just pick up a few things at the grocery store is minimum $50, that's enough!

Oh, wait...there is a "dollar" store...





Where everything costs $2.50 and up!

Ok, enough complaining! So the national sport here is cricket - there's a big national holiday next week called Cup Match that centers around cricket between the two on island rivals, St George's and Sommerset. I caught some cricket practice on our way to the beach last week!





I thought it s really cool even though I have absolutely no idea how it is played. It looks like a combination of baseball and croquet!

Lola and Ryder were being adorable on the way to the beach the other day...travel buddies!





We also had a major rainstorm yesterday! Thunder and lightening in the morning, a lovely overcast afternoon, then an even bigger storm in the evening that lasted pretty much all night! It was a lovely cool down.

It's still overcast and stormy, we even got rained on on the way to the store today. The sea was gorgeous! You know how you always read, usually in romance novels, of how the sea reflected the stormy sky? It's true! This was the shoreline across from the market today.













I really just love it.

Now, back to shopping, they also have some interesting new things at the market because some of their merchandise comes from England! Like the chivers jams and this yummy yogurt! It's my new obsession.




Finally, and last but not least, my kids eternally crack me up!

First of all, Steve took Ryder for a walk early one morning and as they passed this....




...Ryder says "Hey, look! A shipwreck!"




Then this weekend when Steve took the kids to the beach by himself, Lola says "I wish the gods didn't put salt in the water." Steve says "Who?" Lola "The gods! The life gods!"

Tomorrow is Piper's birthday! Hopefully the weather will cooperate!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Hope you are feeling much better! I loved the pictures, funny stories and life lessons! We love all of you!Tell Piper Happy Birthday from Grandpa and me!We hope she has a wonderful day!
    Hugs to ALL!
    Grandma S.

    ReplyDelete